- Takes place every Thursday evening.
- Bag drop available at The Fox pub,17 Lower Essex St, Birmingham B5 6SN from 6:15pm .
- Warmups / run starts at 7pm prompt from The Pagoda Island (what3words location: with.shorts.limbs – see map below).
- Duration is usually less than an hour, covering around 5 miles.
- Changing facilities available at The Fox, currently no showers.
- Drinks, food and further social time at The Fox afterwards.
- IMPORTANT: please visit – https://groups.runtogether.co.uk/BirminghamSwiftsLGBT/Runs to book on to each week’s run, or use the Run Together Runner app (available on itunes and google play).
- IMPORTANT: After you have run with us a couple of times we ask that you complete our 2022 Swifts Free Membership form here so we have your emergency contact details: https://forms.gle/EA9ChXNcnU7Vih9h6
Thursday evenings are our informal group run; great for beginners (provided you can run 5km – if not, look out for our next Couch to 5k course!) and more experienced runners. The slower runners or those newer to running are joined by a run leader and act as the back of the group. Runners who are more experienced or faster can run as fast as they’d like and have the opportunity to run further using scheduled loop points. When a loop point is reached, runners are encouraged to turn around and run to the back of the group to meet up with those at the back. This enables everyone to run together whilst allowing the opportunity to run faster and further for those who want to. It’s a great opportunity to chat to people at all levels throughout the run. We run for between 4 and 5 miles.
Everyone is welcome! For newcomers, please look out for our Run Leaders (who are usually wearing a Run Leader T-Shirt) who will welcome you and introduce you to other runners. We’re a friendly bunch so don’t be shy – come along and make new friends!
Health and Swift Safety Notice:-
1. Do not attend if you’re not well
2. Gathering outside at Pagoda and on run, please maintain social distancing at all times, this includes any loop points (which will be minimised) and at any stops/road crossings etc
3. Follow respiratory etiquette – cover mouth if coughing/sneezing etc and use hand sanitiser
As always, you run at your own risk!
– If wearing headphones please make sure you can still hear the run leaders.
– don’t just follow another runner across a road as you might get run over! (sounds obvious but you’d be surprised what we see as run leaders lol)
– be polite around other road/pavement users, we all represent the Swifts when we’re out as a running group
Warmups / run starts from Pagoda Island at 7pm prompt (what3words location: with.shorts.limbs):
We have a variety of Summer Run Routes where we explore the parks & canals of Birmingham including out to the beautiful Vale at The University of Birmingham. You’ll be amazed at what you will find and it can feel like you’re worlds away from the busy city centre.
Taking into account the darker nights, we use a variety of routes including quiet roads through Edgbaston; through the heart of the City Centre on mostly pedestrianised routes and others. We try and avoid as many roads as possible, but our routes still have traffic on them, so please bear this in mind. During the winter months, please try and wear high-vis clothing so you can be seen!